On these pages you will find information on a scientific hobby that the internet has made possible. You can, from your back yard antenna, track lighting storms around the world. The very long distances of detection is quite amazing. In fact its very common to for people not to believe it! The more stations there are the better everything works for all in the net.. You can see lightning going on between other stations as well as the ones between you and them. If you want to learn some science, electronics, and other skills while having fun, come join us!
Gerry Gore , WB5TXA
An Outline of Subjects For Dxing Lightning
(They are being added as soon as possible.)
1. Antennas.. Everyone enjoys doing their own antenna designs, including myself. Have fun!
2. Preamps.. This part of 10kHz lightning strike reception is well established.
3. Bandwidth control. This is one of the main things missing in most LR systems to date. Usual filtering methods induce a lot of delay and wave shaping, which sometimes does more harm than good. It can cause loss of sync with other stations connecting to you. This has been observed and tested. The Q-multiplier or regenerative receiver gets around this by being little different than a preamp, circuit wise, but has the benefit of being able to control the bandwidth down to all that can be used. This gives a tremendous increase in signal to noise ratio. One of these is presented on these pages with schematics and discussion to allow one to duplicate a working model. Pc boards will be built if enough interest is shown. This is a good tool for serious DX work. See the plots on the Cat5 antenna test to see what it can do.
4. Propagation.. This is an area of interest as you start DXing. You will see things you might not understand. Things you will never see until you start getting DX plots from the other side of the world. We will have a section dedicated to what it all means and what is behind the displays.
5. A good tool box of items free to use with your station.. Snaps will make movies for you , automatic archive and ftp all your results for everything. Site Mate lets you have all the net members on a push button to view all the stations around the net and each radar screen by the name. Several nice utilities are on the original sites for LR pages. Programs for making your own maps for example. All free to people doing LR! Be sure to see the inventors of this systems pages on the links provided. They have a wealth of items to use.
6. Understanding how this all works. Maybe this should be the first thing listed. A library of links from experts on different subjects that involve LR's core needs. One great Thesis from Stanford University, on the whole subject .
Note: Brand new LR reception mode. One antenna mode,
Software by WB5TXA for LR
"SiteMate" You can host all the LR net stations for instant viewing of the sites lightning results and station performance. Actually any URL and name can be used on a slot. Four separate group Types can be hosted. All can be cleared or renamed and saved.
LR Main Programs and the inventors of this unique software/hardware.
Home of LR (Lightning Radar) Get the only software available for LR here. Its free in a basic mode that can DX the world with a good antenna.
An upgraded version allows more stations at once. Example, one in Europe, one in Australia, one in USA, up to a total of four. With a good DX class antenna, stations half way around the world can coordinate strikes with each other with three station activity at once on the same strike. This is the software you need. 19 stations can use yours at the same time to coordinate strikes, even with the Free version.
Latest version has 5kHz capability for DX.
2db /1000 Km advantage. See the Library for details.
Hardware for DXing
Testing Methods / Resources
Original and on going Drawings Standard.
Current DX Results is shown here.
(FROM A STATION IN SAN ANTONIO TX.)